Bingham Building Geotech Laboratory, Case Western Reserve University
Tec Inc. provided electrical and mechanical engineering services to renovate a portion of the Bingham Building’s 2nd floor for the Geotechnical Engineering program. Built in 1927, the Bingham Building—also home to the Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering programs—had to remain operational throughout the construction process. A critical challenge for this project was the request to maintain and reuse as much of the MEP infrastructure as possible. Tec’s assessment of the building revealed an existing but unused fan could be repurposed for the new snorkel exhaust; and the existing HVAC unit for the floor could accommodate the renovated space. Mechanical engineering included a new HVAC control box for the library and computer lab. New sprinkler heads, found in storage, were installed in the remodeled areas and tied into the existing main line for the floor. Electrical engineering involved modifying the existing circuit breaker panels to serve branch circuits in the renovated areas, as well as new lighting and controls. New branch circuits were provided for all receptacles and equipment. Low voltage systems included new fire alarm/evacuation devices and wiring, and technology cabling pathway systems.In order to keep the spaces open and encourage collaboration and interaction, utilities in lab areas are located in the ceiling. Students can now enjoy the results of the renovation which include 3 research laboratories, a graduate research area, a library/lounge, computer lab, and an undergraduate soils lab and classroom.